Monday, April 26, 2010

Let's keep talking...

You know, this is the first time that I can honestly say that I have been completely blindsided by life. Perspective can change but it can also just become a lot more clear. I am seeing things in a very different light then I was a week ago. I have been in complete shock all weekend and anyone who has had contact with me in the past few days, just know that what I am about to tell you will make sense to you now that I am telling.

It has all happened so fast that I am trying to take it all in.

Today I was diagnosed with BREAST CANCER.

It feels so insane that it has to do with me.

A year and a half ago, I started feeling a lot of pain in my left breast, so I went in to my OB. They did an ultrasound and it came back normal. Well, the pain has continued, but a month or so ago, I noticed it getting bigger, hurting more and getting harder. It wasn't feeling right, so I made another appt. My appt. was last monday, April 19th. She sent me downstairs to a general surgeon who deals with breasts and who also has an ultrasound and biopsy machine.

When my surgeon walked in we talked about how pain is a normal woman thing, but just not talked about very much. So I told her that sounded great! Well, she said lets take a look at it with the ultrasound and just see what is happening. As soon as she put the wand (or whatever that is called) on she said, well, let me compare and show you both sides so that you can see the difference. They both looked completely different. I could tell her attitude had completely refocused and we now were talking about how NOT normal this was and that we needed to find a diagnosis because there was something going on here.

The next day I went back for a biopsy (they fit me in during their lunch). Oh, that was not fun, but needed to be done. They told me 5-7 days for the results. I can honestly tell you it was the worst weekend of my entire life. I couldn't stop shaking, I couldn't think clearly and I had to go to the bathroom 20 times a day. My nerves were completely out of control. I was trying to keep busy. Trying to just do our normal routine. Elisha and Wendy (thank you, thank you, thank you) knew I needed a distraction, so we did a girls night! I could feel something flowing through me constantly and right now I know that it was LOVE from my Father and Mother in Heaven.

I knew it was cancer. You just know. Dave and my Dad gave me a blessing and confirmed what I thought. But also gave me the peace that I now feel. I KNOW that I am going to be okay! I KNOW that I will be around to raise my babies. I am going to FIGHT like crazy, I am NOT going anywhere!

I am also scared to death! But I KNOW that this is something that I need, that my family needs and boy are we going to grow ALOT!

I want everyone of you to know that I want to make this as positive an experience as possible. I want to be able to talk about it. If you know me, then you know that I cannot hold things in, I have to talk about life and what is going on. And just think, I am going to have a whole new body when this is over with. It's not everyday that you get to choose your cup size! :) I am going to blog my updates. I know that doing this will be therapy for me.

Please know that you are welcome to come and talk to me, to come and hug me (I could use a lot of that right now) and even cry with me. Ask me questions and let me know what you are thinking. I welcome it all.

I know that everyone is wanting to help and I welcome the help. I am trying to figure it all out and when I know I will let you know. But also, please trust your own intuitions, maybe you will know how to help me more than I will know.

I go into my oncologist on thursday. I know that I have to have some more tests done to determine what exactly it is and how to treat it. So when I know more, you will know!

I love you all and I want you to know that I will be okay. That we are going to learn and grow and be better people because of this!!!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life is not fair! I wish I would have run across the street and hugged you yesterday when I saw you. I had that impression and like so many times in my life...I ignored it, I thought you might think I was crazy. And now I am hating myself for not doing it. I will pray for you...much love!

Dancing Queen said...

kellie, I love you and your darling family. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Way to go with the positive attitude. I'm sure you'll be tested in patience and endurance with that attitude. But keep it up. That's the way to begin to conquer this. I'll pray for you. Much Love,
Angelee

Erin Terry said...

Kellie, My heart is physically aching for you. I lost my mom to cervical cancer when I was 8 years old but my dad is now a 5 year cancer survivor. I know how devestating it can be but I also know that with a lot of determination and the prayers of so many people that love you, YOU CAN BEAT THIS! You will be in my thoughts and prayers often. Erin

Piper said...

Kellie... Oh, Kellie... I wish there were words to express what I am feeling right now. I wish I lived closer so I COULD give you a great big hug and cry with you and laugh with you and help you through this time. I miss you and I love you and I will definitely be praying for you and yours... Piper

Marianne said...

wow, wow, wow, not only your situation but your amazingly positive attitude! I wish we lived closer to help, if the kids need a summer vacation, send them this way...we'll go to the beach everyday! You, Dave, Bailee, Donovan and Alysa are in our prayers. Btw, how are they handlng all of this?
Love,
The Days

Natalie Bergquist said...

Wow--that was one of the best blog posts I have ever read. I LOVE and appreciate how you put exactly what you feel, want, expect, welcome (talking, questions, hugs, help), and plan to do in this shocking time. I'm shocked but glad you went in and got it checked out. You are so strong and brave and I say--You go girl! You can fight this! Def here to help! We love you so much. Prayers on your behalf you can bet on and the temple will know your name.

The White Clan said...

Holy cow!!! These are the things you never expect to hear from someone so young. I am praying for you! I will do whatever is needed to help. Please call, text, or just yell. You have such great faith and that will take you farther than you think.
LOVE LOVE LOVE, Kacey

Kelly and Penny said...

Hey,
I am crying with you right now! We had a few good cries back in the day. So sorry! I love your attitude though and I know that if You KNOW that you are going to be alright then you will. B/c I know what an amazing woman and testimony you have! I wish I lived closer.
Penny

Miriam H said...

So sorry to hear this terrible news! No one deserves to have this happen to them! I will do whatever you need to help out! Our prayers are with you and your family Kellie.

Audrey Henderson said...

kellie, i'm so sorry this is happening to you. I was moved to tears while reading your blog, but you are so positive it's amazing, you are already inspiring me. And you're right you'll totally kick it's butt! You and your wonderfuly family are definitely in our prayers.

Jenny said...

Kellie, I am so sorry to hear this. You must be so shocked and scared. I hope these next few weeks can give you answers and peace. I like your attitude about it though, and I hope you find the support you need to face the battle! I look forward to reading your updates! Jenny

Heather!!! said...

I am so totally shocked! You are around my age?!?! I am so amazed at the strength you have! You have many people around you that are here for you. I personally am looking into being over a Run Aide Station next year at the Ironman for you & Breast Cancer. (Ironman donates money to a charity of the captains choice) I would love to do that for you & to raise awareness to this cause! My heart is seriously breaking for you...I would love to help you in any way!

Kristi said...

Kellie, so glad I got to talk to you yesterday. You know I'm here for whatever you need. Love you, Kristi ♥

Unknown said...

Kellie,
I loved your blog too, that you would let everyone know they could talk to you about your situation. So many times I have wanted to help but afraid talking about it would just make it worse. I tried to call you a couple weeks ago but got your voice mail. Maybe thats why. Seems like your life plate is pretty full right now if there is anything I can do, come spend a couple hours or babysitting call me. I lost my phone recently so call Richs 435-531-1433. I want you to know I love you and I know Heavenly Father will carry you- just like the footprints poem. when I look back at my most difficult times I cant deny I felt his spirit carry me and give me strength I didnt have. Im just so grateful we have this gospel and we know our fate and what is important in the overall sceme of things. Know my prayers are with you.

Love Jamie Harline

Hardy Family said...

You are the most amazing Woman ever! Your positive attitude & faith will pull you through it all, so hang in there. :) I love you tons!

cowchicsb said...

Holy Cow Kellie!! Life sure is full of surprises! Some good ones and abviously some not so good ones! My trials have definitely been reevaluated due to finding out what you are facing right now! If you need someone to talk to day or night, please know that you can call me, 635-3982. I've always concidered you an awesome and dear friend, even though married life has seperated us. My prayers will definitely be with you and you family. I wish you the best, and know if anyone can do this you can. You're stronger than you think!
Love, Shawna Blake Borrowman

MCKALA said...

kellie, i'm so sorry that you have to go through this. You have such a great attitude about the whole thing. I wish you luch and know that if their is anything you need please call . Love you tons we are praying for you...