Thursday, April 29, 2010

Here We Go!!

First of all I am extremely overwhelmed by the love and concern from all you!!!!! WOW do I have a support system!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

It has been a long day, and I am finally getting home late tonight! Right now I am NOT feeling as overwhelmed and scared as I have been during the past week. I met my oncologist and I feel really lucky to have him on my team. He and his staff are really taking good care of me. I found out alot more today so here goes:

I have to have a few more tests done (MRI, blood work, chest x-ray) to find out what stage I am at, but at this point he thinks I am at 2B, which is good. I will take it.

I am going to get a port put in my chest. I have debated about it, but feel it will be alot easier than getting poked ALOT!

I am not your usual cancer patient. Usually there is surgery first, but with mine we have to start with chemo to shrink the tumor so that they can get it all easier during the surgery. I start chemo next week! I will do 2 different kinds for a total of 8 rounds. I will go every other week for the next 16 weeks. After a rest period I will do surgery. My next step is radiation then hormone therapy (to block the hormones) for the next 5 years because my cells are fed by estrogen and progesterone.

They also told me that chemo is not as hard on you as it was a few years ago. Hooray!!! That I should live as normal a life as possible. To get out of the house and live life. So that is what I am going to do. I am sure I will have my bad days but that is okay. There should only be one or two bad days then I will just be tired the rest. I think I can handle that!

Yes, I am going to lose my hair! I am really struggling with that one, but can't think too hard about it. I am thinking of cutting my hair into a cute style to kind of help the process. I am also going to find a nice wig. Why not? I think we would all be surprised at who wears them, right? :) Maybe I will find some funky ones and just make it fun, do something different?

So there you go!! We have a plan and I am ready to go (well, not really, but that's okay)!

10 comments:

Miriam H said...

I admire that you are so positive! Good luck and let me know what I can help you with!

Richins Family said...

I too admire how positive you are Kellie! Our prayers are with you and your family. You are such a strong woman! You will get through this! Keep having a great attitude! :)

Erin said...

You are awesome Kellie and I love how positive you are about this, it is going to make this road alot easier for you! You are in our prayers and you know I am here for you whenever you need me.

Natalie Bergquist said...

That is a lot more info from yesterday and that's awesome! Education/knowledge is vital. So proud of you and so here for you. You do have a strong support system!!!! We love you; take care and be sure to call!

Anonymous said...

You are so optimistic and I know that will help! This too shall pass, you are strong-willed and the Lord knows it. Go get 'em!

Piper said...

You are amazing, Kellie- nobody could ever deny that!!! Keep that spirit high and remember it when times get tough.

I have a friend with Leukemia and she embraced the lack of hair as well- cut it short and then got wigs- she had several different ones and as long as you like them, that is all that matters!! Talk a bout a quick way to change your style for your mood... :)

Ciji Capurro said...

Hi! So sorry you're going through this. My prayers are with you!!!

The White Clan said...

I am also here for you! You have the best attitude and I wish I had the same optimism in every day life! Please call me whenever you need me!

Kellie said...

Thank you everyone! Just help me with the hair thing, its scaring the crap out of me!

Anonymous said...

Sweet kelly! I am thinking a lot about you and praying that this will not take a huge toll on you and your family. I will be following your blog to know what is happening. Love you lots!