You know its interesting how long you can live in an area, and people don't really know you or your husband. I love seeing the expression people get when they find out that Dave is gone and they ask "oh, where is he?", and I tell them "oh, he's in India (or Taiwan, or Malaysia, etc..)". The hard part is trying to explain what he is doing there. Everyone thinks he is into computers, but the only thing he does on computers is check his email. I thought I would try to explain. I will even put on a link to his work so that you can see some pics of what the machines look like that he works on.
http://reidashman.com/
Dave is the International Field Service Manager for Reid-Ashman Mfg. He is over 4 or 5 other service guys that live mainly in Asian countries. Reid-Ashman makes what are called manipulators that other companies such as Intel, Motorola, Hewlett Packart, etc, use to hold their test heads that test microchips. Basically he flys all over the world with his 50 pound tool box to where these companies have their different factories and he installs, fixes and upgrades these manipulators. Its pretty much alot of nuts and bolts and some electrical included, he claims he's just a glorified TV repairman. Sometimes he goes into clean rooms or static free rooms and he has to dress up in special clothing, kind of like surgeons outfits.
You know there is definitely good and bad with the job, but for the most part we can't complain, because they have been really good to us. Its a good company to work for. There have been a few scary times, though. For example, in 2004 he went to Russia and that was when the Chezchnian Rebels attacked and bombed a school, and there were also 2 planes that went down. He was only 15 minutes away when there was a car bomb. They had closed down everything in the city, so he didn't get to see any of the sights. The sad part is, we don't think he will ever be back there. But that time was the only time that he has said that he was so relieved to be back on US soil, when he got to, I think, JFK airport and was able to call me. When this happened he had no way to contact me and all I knew was from what I saw on the TV. It was really scary.
When we met for the first time 10 years ago, he was off the next day to Germany and Italy. That's how we started our relationship and that is how it has always been. That doesn't make it any easier though, yes you get used to it, but I still have my bad days, especially since our kids have come along. I think that part has just gotten harder. It's not always fun being a single mom, but I also think that I am a stronger person because of it. I also think that it has been good for Dave and I's relationship. We appreciate each other more and it makes our relationship sweeter. I can always tell when he has really missed me. I think its funny when couples tell me that they have never spent a night apart. Yeah, try being Me!! I honestly don't know how we would handle that. When he is away our arguments and such tend to go away and not matter as much (well, most of the time). It gives us a chance to really think about each other and realize what is important. When it's possible he tries to take me with him. I think as the kids get older, I will be able to go more. He, of course, has taken me to San Jose with him alot, and we got to go to Costa Rica, a very beautiful place, we loved it there. He also gets lots of perks, so we can hopefully go to more places around the world.
Dave works so hard for us, and I really appreciate all the hard work he puts in to providing for us. Flying all over the world is not always fun. Alot of the time, all he sees are the airports, the hotels and the buildings he works at. I remember one time he left a message for me from the Eiffel Tower at 3:00 in the morning, saying "yeah, here I am all by myself with no one to share this with". I so wished that I could have been there with him! I know he didn't really like India much at all either. I know he wouldn't want to go back there.
I guess this is what we do for our families, do the best that we can to provide and take care of them. I have had a rough weekend. I hate it when Dave leaves on the weekend, I am not totally sure why, but it is alot harder than the weekdays. I think its because we have our routine during the week, and I am used to having him gone during the days. I have a lot of people tell me "I don't know how you do it!". Honestly sometimes I am not sure how I do do it, myself. I just know that Heavenly Father blesses me and makes me strong when Dave is not here. I also feel, that you just do what you have to do. You just have to keep trudging along.
5 comments:
You are a much stronger woman than I. And hey if it makes you feel any better, I feel the same way about my kids and their dad is home everyday.
I didn't know you had a blog! I was interested and excited to read about what your hubby does! My husband is also gone all week for work just the past few months. And boy has it been hard! I don't think I could do it all the time. I am always trying to convince him to get a job closer to home. YOu are an amazing woman!
That is very interesting what he does. I agree you are super strong! It does help having good friends around to help you when things are tough. That is cool that you will get to do a lot of traveling together when the kids get older! That would be fun!
Kellie you really are a strong woman. You have explained what he does so many times. The pictures help to not very many people do what he does.
That was a really sweet post.
Kellie, you are as you have always been in my eyes, a pillar of strength! From someone who shares your lifestyle, I know it's hard, especially on the weekends! It's really no fun being a one women show, and seems to get harder, or should I say crazy... as the kids get older! So, Whenever you are having one of those days(and I'll do the same) please call me....sometimes it just helps to vent about all the little stuff!
Oh, and pass on to Dave...that I think he's amazing! It is hard to live out of a bag & hang-out in airports, not to mention the longing for home cooked meals!!! By the way I loved this post! Thanks!
Post a Comment