Saturday, February 23, 2013

I have been trying to write for a few days so I won't forget, but my dang hands hurts so bad, I can't do anything.  I can't even walk because of my feet, too. Plus a few more side effects I won't mention. Enough Already!!!! I got out for a minute today, but felt so miserable, I have been in bed the rest of the day.
Ok enough whining....Here's the update.

Lets start on valentine's day.  Donovan and Alysa had begged me to come to their parties, so I pulled myself out of bed and went.  I had had a few problems breathing again so I had a call in to the doctor.  When I got in to the car to leave the school his assistant called me and told me to come in, of course by that time, she could hear over the phone how bad it was.  When I got there, we had to have my oxygen levels at a certain rate to get oxygen, so got that done and then he sent me over for a more intense CT scan, can't remember the official name, but it was the same machine they used for my spinal biopsy.  The reason he did it was he wanted to look at my lungs a litte more, but it didn't tell him much.  He was actually thinking more cancer but the pulminologist is thinking infection, but my body is just too weak to try and fight it, hence no coughing or mucus coming up.  So the pulminologist wanted to put me on an IV antibiotic twice a day for a week, but Dr Haslem knew we had a trip planned for up north.  He actually thought we were going up to testify (litte did he know he was inspired) but we told him we just needed a break.  So he gave me 2 pills for a week instead.

So we got the oxygen AGAIN, and loaded up the kids friday and dropped them off in Richfield then headed to Salt Lake.  I made it to the family history center for about an hour on saturday before I got sick and had to leave (dang antibiotics). We got back to the hotel and found that they needed me tues. to share my story at the capitol, because they had gotten the hearing for the Chemo Parity Bill (a bill that would get oral chemo covered under medical just like IV chemo, because right now it is under prescription and therefore my out of pocket monthly for the pills is $1300 and some as high as 20,000) scheduled for that day.  Love Communications, a Public Relations Company hired to help with the bill had asked me to share my story.

Sooo of course Dave and I didn't bring any nice clothes with us so luckily it was a holiday weekend and got some help in bring them to us (you know who you are, thank you!!!) and spent a few days with family. Heck I even put on make-up, that has happened since the fundraiser in November:)

They had pitched the story to the tribune so I knew it was coming and the first one came out on monday-http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55834474-78/cancer-drugs-oral-chemo.html.csp

I worked on what I was going to say on monday night.  They told me I had about 2 mins so thanks to Deanne, I was able to get it written, it was a good thing, because with my brain I would have been all over the place by winging it:)  It was interesting how things work up there.  It was held in a room in the senate building behind the capitol and quite a few people showed up. We were second on the agenda and the first one went by fast.  No one was even paying attention, so I thought hey this will be easier than I thought, because noone will pay attention to me:).  Senator Bramble is the one sponsoring it, so he said a few words, then it was open to the rest of us.  One guy shot up to one of the 2 chairs and the other was empty so the ladies I was with told me to head up there.  Honestly I think that was Heaven sent, because if I would have had time to think about it, I wouldn't have gone, AAHHH crazy.  But I did it!!!!  I introduced myself and read my story loud and clear.  I even got Dave to tear up.  When I sat down they told me that everyone was listening...

I could see that there were camera men on the sidelines, but didn't realize at the time that they were focused on me, or maybe I would have posed a little better:)jk.  Well, as soon as it was all done we headed out the door.  As we were walking, Kelli Frato, the one I was working with, said that the media might want to talk to me.  (I think that was her plan:))  I was only a few steps out the door and they were on my tail.  One even tried to get past Dave before Dave told him that I was his wife and he backed off a litte.  So we talked to the Deseret News and before that was done the tribune was there with his camera and he even took a picture of my speech for a follow up.  Next it was 2News, they hooked me up to a wire and I grabbed Dave and made him stand beside me and  then we were telling it all over again.  I was on a high, I was worried I would need my oxygen, but adrenalin kicked in and it was good, other than the sore feet and walking funny:)

It was exhausting, but so worth it.  The crazy thing was the insurance people that were there to oppose it said there piece, but didn't have any data to back it, so it passed unanimously to go to the next round.  Dave and my Dad think they are going to go behind closed doors, but I still think we are going to win in the end, because their arguments don't make sense.

Here is the follow up in the tribune
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/55860192-90/bill-cancer-chemo-drugs.html.csp

KUTV2
http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_3917.shtml

Deseret News(I made the front page:))
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865573605/Bill-aims-to-eliminate-costly-difference-between-oral-IV-chemotherapy-for-Utah-patients.html

It was definitely a neat experience...Kind of crazy how the government works...

No comments: